Healthy Chicken DivanSeptember 9, 2011
I admit I’ve never had the original version of chicken divan, and after eating this recipe I am okay with that.
Have you ever been to Gina’s blog, Skinny Taste? If not, I recommend you go there. Go there now! She’s got some of the best food ever. And it’s healthy.
So, I was skimming through her recipes, looking to use up some chicken, and found this chicken divan. Chicken, broccoli, cheese. I was sold!
After making the recipe a couple of nights ago, I’ll tell you it’s a keeper. Make it. You won’t be disappointed.
Healthy Chicken Divan
recipe from Skinny Taste
- 1 & 1/2 lbs broccoli, chopped
- 24 oz uncooked chicken breast (or 18 oz cooked)
- salt and pepper
- 1 T butter
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 T flour
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 oz dry sherry (or white wine would work)
- 6 oz reduced fat swiss (I used mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- I threw my chicken in the crock pot with some salt and pepper and just let her go until done. Easy, peasy.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add broccoli and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Add butter and oil until hot. Add your shallots and garlic. Then add your flour and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in broth, milk, and sherry, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add in half of your swiss cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange broccoli in baking dish. Pour half your cheese sauce over broccoli. Then add chicken, and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining swiss cheese, parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs on top.
- Bake 30 minutes, and enjoy!
If you want all the nutrition info on this recipe, you can go over to Skinny Taste, and she’s got everything laid out very nice over there. Enjoy!
— the Jilb