Mini Cinnamon & Sugar Apple MuffinsOctober 5, 2011
Apples and muffins! The perfect fall treat. Or breakfast. Or afternoon snack. Really you can eat these little babies any time of day.
I had some apples that I really needed to use up. I could do apple crisp, but honestly, I was getting kind of sick of that. So, I found, I think the next best thing (besides apple pie, of course): mini cinnamon & sugar apple muffins. These are sweet, and a little bit tangy, and you get a taste of apple in each bite, which is wonderful!
Mini Cinnamon & Sugar Apple Muffins
recipe adapted from Baked By Jen
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups of apples, peeled, cored, and bite sized
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease mini muffin pan. Set aside.
- Mix sugars, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until combined. Add in cold butter with a pastry cutter, and work until you get a coarse crumbly dough.
- In another bowl, beat your egg. Add milk, and chopped apples. Add apple mixture to flour mixture until just mixed. Be careful not to over mix it.
- Place a tablespoon of each batter into mold in pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dunk muffin into butter and then cinnamon/sugar mix. You can do the whole muffin or just the tops like I did. Eat immediately!
These muffins were really yummy, and I will definitely make them again, especially since we always seem to have apples on hand.
— the Jilb