Beef Gyros with Cucumber SauceOctober 12, 2011
We tried out a new recipe the other night, and it was awesome. Friends, let me introduce you to something new:
There’s a homemade pita recipe (yes, please!) that would make these ground beef gyros even yummier, but I ran out of time. The cucumber sauce for the gyros is to die for. Yum. So, go out and make these. Your husband will thank you. Right, Reinman? Just make sure you use plain yogurt, and not vanilla yogurt like some people I know. (Sorry, mom, I couldn’t resist. Hehe.)
The kids loved these, and ate them up. They even had seconds. Need proof? Look at the Bear. He wishes he could shove the whole thing in his mouth. Silly Bear.
Beef Gyros with Cucumber Sauce
recipe from The Motherload
- 1 (8 oz) container plain yogurt
- 1 /3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 T finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 pitas
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Mix first 5 ingredients; cover, and refrigerate.
- In separate bowl, mix beef and seasonings. Shape into patties and cook on stove or grill until done or meat is no longer pink.
- Cut patties into thin strips.
- Put meat in pitas, then lettuce, tomato, and onion. Cucumber sauce can go on top, or you can use it as a dip like our kids did!
— the Jilb