Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee ButtercreamNovember 17, 2011
I learned something last week. Or maybe it was more like I remembered something: If you bake a lot, you should probably wear an apron. I have this really cute apron that I got from my mom years ago and I believe the first time I wore it was this past weekend when I was making cupcakes for the Baby’s birthday party. Up until then I was apron-less, which meant lots of flour hand prints on my pants because I am more concerned with whatever baking I am doing than staying clean. And that’s not good when you realize you are down to your last pair of “clean” jeans. Hmm…
I made some cupcakes yesterday. Not sure why. I think it had to do with the fact that it was snowing, I was cold, and I thought that turning on the oven would warm me up. Weird, I know. Anywho, these cupcakes are to die for! Especially if you like coffee.
I found these cupcakes at Baking with Basil. I didn’t change a thing. And I don’t think I needed to. Except maybe I’ll add more coffee next time because coffee is awesome!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting
Recipe from Baking with Basil
- 1 & 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or here’s a buttermilk substitute, which is what I did)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- Mix your flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine your buttermilk, vegetable oil, and eggs. With an electric mixer set on a low-medium speed, add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients. Once mixed well, add in your coffee. Make sure to scrap down sides of bowl.
- Using a large scoop, fill your paper lined muffin tins 2/3rds full with batter. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes sit in muffin tins for 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to completely cool.
Coffee Buttercream Ingredients and Directions:
- 2 sticks butter, softened to room temp
- 2 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 T coffee at room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat butter until light and fluffy, around 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, and mix another couple of minutes until well combined.
- Add coffee and vanilla extract. Continue to beat until you reach your desired constistency. I beat for another 2 minutes or so.
— the Jilb