Chocolate Strawberry CupcakesFebruary 10, 2012
I saw these cupcakes on Pinterest awhile ago, and have been waiting to make them until Valentine’s Day was closer. Since that day is almost here, I figured it was time to post this recipe.
The original recipe is on Allrecipes.com. No surprise there! A brownie box mix is used as the bottom of the cupcake and then whatever cake mix you choose goes on top. Going with our Valentine’s theme, I chose a strawberry cake mix.
This cupcake recipe was really easy to put together. A box of brownie mix, a box of cake mix, with whatever frosting you like, and there ya go! The only problem I ran into with this recipe is that on a few of my cupcakes the brownie bottom was still a tad bit gooey. I can’t complain though because it tasted awesome!
A lot of the reviews I read for this cupcake recipe said they used a box of white cake mix and then a peanut butter frosting. I am definitely going to try that next!
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 (19.5 oz) pkg of brownie mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (18.25 oz) cake mix, (I chose strawberry, but any would be good!)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 & 1/3 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder (I ended up using 2 more tablespoons at the end.)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- more cocoa powder if you want more chocolate flavor
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 (some got up to 36 cupcakes. I must like big ones!) muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix your brownie mix, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1/4 cup water. Mix until it’s all incorporated.
- In another bowl, mix the cake mix, 2 T vegetable oil, 1 & 1/3 cup water, and 3 egg whites using an electric mixer until combined. Then mix for another 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Here I used an ice cream scoop, and did one scoop of brownie batter for the bottom, and one scoop of cake batter for the top. It makes about 24 cupcakes, with a little bit of cake batter left over that I made into mini strawberry cupcakes for the kids.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched. I also recommend using a toothpick to make sure the brownie part is done.
— the Jilb