Chicken, Apple, and Walnut SaladFebruary 24, 2012
Reinman and I have been on a bit of a health binge lately, and it’s been going pretty well. Hence the lack of sweet recipes, and the arrival of more healthy recipes than what is typically seen on Reini Days.
Add in a lite mayo dressing and you really have yourself something here. If you want something light for lunch, or dinner, this is perfect. And our kids loved it too, which is always a huge plus in this house.
Chicken, Apple, and Walnut Salad
recipe slightly adapted from Allyou.com
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (or you can even do a rotisserie chicken)
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 2 T. red onion, finely chopped (I omitted this just because I don’t like onion)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 T. finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- salt, to taste
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Toss apples with 1 tablespoon lime juice in a large bowl. Add chicken and red onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, cilantro, red pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt, and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice. Stir dressing into chicken mixture to coat. Season with salt.
- Throw salad greens in a large bowl and toss with chicken salad. Top with walnuts.
— the Jilb