Whole Wheat Rocky Road MuffinsMarch 21, 2012
Whole Wheat Rocky Road Muffins. If they’re whole wheat, they’re healthy, right? At least that’s what I like to tell myself.
Reinman and his family told me these muffins taste like CoCo Wheats. Seeing as how I’ve never had CoCo Wheats, I guess I’ll just have to take them at their word. 😉 All I know was that these muffins were yummy. Full of chocolate, marshmallows, and whole wheat goodness, these muffins can’t be beat.
I subbed out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour and half the butter for applesauce. You could do all butter or oil if you wanted and stick with the all-purpose flour if that’s your thing.
Whole Wheat Rocky Road Muffins
recipe adapted from 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies, and Other Tempting Treats
- 1 & 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 T baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 eggs
- 3 T butter, melted and cooled
- 3 T applesauce
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-hole muffin pan with non-stick spray or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Mix in sugar, chocolate chips, and marshmallows.
- In another bowl, beat eggs. Then beat in the milk, butter, and applesauce.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add in your liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined. You don’t want to overmix.
- Spoon the batter in the muffin pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack.
— the Jilb