Cinnamon Roll Cookies with Brown Butter FrostingJune 18, 2012
These cookies taste exactly like a cinnamon roll. They’re sweet, chewy, and have a hint of cinnamon.
These are the best cookies I’ve made lately. (And I don’t think it’s just because we’ve been on a “health” kick that excludes cookies made with sugar, butter, blah, blah, blah).
Sometimes you just need an old-fashion cookie that has sugar in it. Seriously.
When I took my first bite of one of these cookies, I had to sit down. And then I sighed. True story.
And then I thought about calling Reinman to get his butt home to try one of these. But then reality set in, and I just patiently waited for him to get home from work.
So, I did what any good wife and mother would do, I hid all the cookies until Reinman got home so we could eat them all after the kids went to bed. I’m that good.
Please make these cookies. You will not be disappointed!!
Cinnamon Roll Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting
recipe slightly adapted from Yes, I Want Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat flour or you could do all all-purpose flour)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cinnamon chips
- 2 T butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- dash of cinnamon
- 2 T water (more if needed)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in your egg, milk, and vanilla, beating until well-combined.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing well. Add in cinnamon chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and using a tablespoon drop cookie dough about two inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, melt your butter on medium heat in a small saucepan until golden brown (about 5 minutes). Take butter off heat, and stir in the powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and water. Mix and if you need more water to make the frosting spreadable go ahead and add that now. Frost the cooled cookies and enjoy!!
— the Jilb