Another yummy scone recipe. I really love scones. They’re perfect for breakfast, with coffee, or tea, for brunch. They’re so easy to make, and always a crowd pleaser.
These are full of cinnamon chips (which you can find by the chocolate chips at your grocery store), and sometimes you bite into a pocket of melt-y butter. Best thing ever.
We’ve been having really hot, ridiculous weather but that hasn’t stopped me from baking. I think I might have a problem. At least I do all my baking in the morning. That’s something, right?
Cinnamon Chip Scones
recipe adapted from The Coupon Project
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cinnamon chips
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 T honey
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk mixed with 1/2 tsp lemon juice)
- 1-2 T sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a large bowl, mix your flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon chips. Grate in your butter and mix until crumbly.
- Separate the egg white and yolk. Set the egg white aside.
- In another bowl, mix your egg yolk, honey, and buttermilk. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated.
- On a slightly floured surface, knead the dough a few times to make sure everything is really mixed together. Then roll your dough into a ball, put on your lined baking sheet, and pat out until it’s a half inch thick and 8 inches in diameter. Cut into 8 equally-sized pieces.
- Whisk the egg whites until it’s foamy, and brush over tops of scones. Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until scones are light brown and completely baked through.
— the Jilb